Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Shannon's Favorites

So I decided once a week to post one of my favorite recipes. Today is one that came from my Grandmothers recipe box. She would cut out newspaper clippings of recipes that she liked or thought she would try some day. This particular one I found is really old.......being the adventurous one I am I decided to give it a go.....I have been making this for years now! It actually tastes like my grandmothers original recipe where she added some of this and some that......one I which I would have on paper now....

Bootlegger Beans

3 Strips of Bacon
Small Onion Chopped
1 Can Pork and Beans In Tomato Sauce
1 Tbs. Brown Sugar
2 Tbs. Vinegar
2 Tbs. Ketchup

Dice 3 strips of bacon and fry. When about done, add a onion. When the onion is slightly browned, pour off most of the grease and add 1 can of pork and beans, brown sugar, vinegar, and ketchup. Stir well. Cover let simmer for at least 30 mins....or longer if you have time....long and slow is key
*When I make these I bake the beans for 2 hours at 250 then bake at 350 for 30-40 mins.....the longer you can bake at a low setting the better these will turn out....
* I also add more brown sugar than called for.....it helps to caramelize the sauce and adds so much more flavor.....

I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you give this recipe a try...come back and comment your thoughts! Thanks for visiting!
Original recipe taken from old newspaper clipping.........

1 comment: